Make crispy, delicious Tofu Nuggets in your air fryer! These easy nuggets are a completely plant-based version of chicken nuggets. They turn extra crunchy in the air fryer (oven instructions included!)
- Preheat the air fryer or oven to 375°F. If using the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the block of tofu in a tofu press, or wrap in paper towels and place under a heavy object to release extra liquid.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the flax egg by mixing the ground flaxseed and water. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Then, add the dijon mustard and maple syrup. Mix well. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl mix the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Turn the block of pressed tofu on its side and slice in half lengthwise. Slice the block into four strips, then rotate and cut four strips again, creating 16 cubes per sheet (32 cubes total).
- Use one hand to coat a piece of tofu in the flax egg mixture. Then place in the bowl of breadcrumbs and use your other hand to coat evenly on all sides. Place on the tray/basket of your air fryer or on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all the tofu cubes.
- Air fry for 15-18 minutes or bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then serve with vegan honey mustard dressing. Enjoy!
**This recipe is enough for a generous coating of egg mixture and breadcrumbs. If you are conservative with the ingredients, you can make another 1/2 block of tofu nuggets with these quantities.