Caramelized Carrot Soup with Fennel
Caramelized Carrot Soup with Fennel is a light soup with brightness from cilantro and fennel. It makes a great whole food plant-based appetizer or light meal.
Elizabeth | At Elizabeth's Table
- 1 1/2 Pounds Carrots
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Broth, divided
- 3 Cups Carrot Juice
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
- Chop the carrots into small rounds and slice the onion.
- Add the carrots and onion to a pot with 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth. Cook until the onion is tender, stirring occasionally, around 8 minutes.
- Add the carrot juice, remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, cilantro, cumin, fennel seeds, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds on medium-low heat until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve the soup topped with cilantro and the toasted almonds. Enjoy!