Sweet and Sour Tofu with Pineapple
Sweet and Sour Tofu with pineapple and bell peppers - the whole food plant-based version of sweet and sour chicken. High protein, gluten-free, and incredibly delicious!
Elizabeth | At Elizabeth's Table
- 2 Blocks Extra Firm Tofu, pressed & cubed
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Aminos or Tamari
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Cups Cubed Pineapple
- 1 Medium Red Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- Toppings: Sesame Seeds, Sliced Scallions
- White Rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cubed tofu with the cornstarch.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, liquid aminos, garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat. Add the onion, and peppers. Sauté, using the sauce as the cooking liquid, until the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the pineapple and cook a few minutes more.
- When the tofu is ready, add the tofu to the pan and stir to coat. Serve and enjoy!