Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a tasty, filling meal. They are a great way to stock up on plant-based protein and healthy complex carbohydrates.
Elizabeth | At Elizabeth's Table
- 4 Small or 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Block Tempeh
- 1/2 Red Onion, roughly chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh or Lightly Dried Parsley (optional)
- Bake or steam the sweet potatoes.
- To bake: poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place them in a 400 degree oven for 40-60 minutes until they can be easily pierced with a fork.
- To steam: boil water and place potatoes in a steaming basket over the boiling water. Cook for 30-40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, crumble the block of tempeh into small pieces.
- Process the red onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cloves, and water in a food processor or blender until relatively smooth. Stir into the tempeh and let marinade for 10-15 minutes.
- After the tempeh has marinaded, heat the tempeh in a pan for 5-10 minutes. Use the vegetable broth to keep the tempeh from sticking to the pan.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked through, slice each potato longways with a knife and create an opening in the potato. Fill each potato with the tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with parsley (optional). Enjoy!