Tofu with mushroom gravy features crispy breaded tofu drizzled with a rich mushroom gravy. Tofu and gravy is a tasty vegan Thanksgiving dish!
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the tofu. In a shallow bowl, mix the flax egg. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into 4 rectangles by slicing the block in half across the middle and then cutting each rectangle in half height-wise.
- In a second shallow bowl or baking dish mix the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Coat each piece of tofu in the flax egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing down gently on each side to help the breadcrumbs stick.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Prepare the gravy. Using a splash of the vegetable broth, sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat, until the onions are translucent and the carrots softened, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth, mushrooms, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down the heat, partially cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- If you want, remove some of the mushrooms before blending. Add the mushrooms to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a gravy boat and add the reserved mushrooms.
- Serve the gravy over the tofu.
Air fryer instructions
To make this tofu in the air fryer follow the preparation instructions as written. Air fry at 375°F for 25 minutes.