Vegan Cincinnati Chili
Make warm and cozy Vegan Cincinnati Chili! A plant-based version of the classic Skyline chili from Cincinnati, Ohio. This vegetarian chili has all the delicious flavors of the original version. It's completely vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Elizabeth | At Elizabeth's Table
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Ounce Unsweetened Chocolate
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch Cloves
- 2 15-Ounce Cans Lentils (including the liquid)
- To serve: spaghetti, finely chopped onion, kidney beans, vegan cheese
- Heat the water, chocolate, tomato paste, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar in a large pot over medium heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, salt, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils (including the liquid) and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook at a rolling boil for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Serve you favorite "way".
- 2-way = spaghetti and chili
- 3-way = spaghetti, chili, cheese
- 4-way = spaghetti, chili, onions OR beans, cheese
- 5-way = spaghetti, chili, onion AND beans, cheese
- Elizabeth-way = spaghetti, chili, onions, beans