Make high protein vegan burgers using seitan! Vegan seitan burgers are absolutely loaded with protein and with a few key ingredients like mushrooms and beets, have the taste, texture, and appearance of a regular burger.
- Start the steamer. Fill a medium sized pot with water, place a steamer basket on top of the pot, cover with a lid, and bring the water to a boil.
- Add all the ingredients except the vital wheat gluten to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pulse in the vital wheat gluten. Mix only until the mixture is just combined.
- Shape the mixture into 8 patties. Then wrap each patty in plastic wrap.
- Place the patties in the steamer basket and steam for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn off the heat and leave the patties covered in the steamer basket or 30 minutes.
- If desired, pan-fry or grill for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned.
- Serve burger style with your favorite toppings!
I highly recommend using a kitchen scale to measure the weights of the ingredients in this recipe.
Vital wheat gluten is like a flour, so think of this almost like a baking recipe. You want to be as precise as possible for best results.