Vegan Tempeh Tinga Tacos
Take classic chicken tinga and make it vegan! These Vegan Tempeh Tinga Tacos are an easy 30-minute weeknight dinner packed with protein, fiber, and flavor.
Elizabeth | The Plant-Based Catholic
- 1 Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1-2 Chipotle Chilis in Adobo Sauce
- 1 15oz Can Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 8oz Blocks Tempeh (or extra firm tofu), crumbled
- 1 Bay Leaf (optional)
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Corn Tortillas
- Toppings: cilantro, pickled red onions, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Sauté the onions in a non-stick pan, using a splash of vegetable broth if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir 5-7 minutes and then add the minced garlic. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and garlic to a blender or food processer along with the chipotle chili(s), tomatoes, remaining vegetable broth, maple syrup, cumin, and oregano. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Pour the blended sauce back into the pot and add the crumbled tempeh and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Cook on medium for 8-10 minutes, until the tempeh is warm and the sauce is reduced.
- Stir in the black beans and let cook 1-2 minutes, until warm. Taste again and season with salt & pepper.
- Assemble the tacos and top with your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!